2.7 billion people live today under US$ 2.5 a day. This group is usually referred to as bottom of the pyramid, the bottom of the wealth pyramid or the bottom of the income pyramid. They rarely benefit from FDI flows, other than infrastructure. But this does not have to be like that.
The course will benefit:
- Promotion agencies and economic development organisations keen to mobilise FDI to bring solutions that help this sector of society.
- Policy makers keen to brainstorm how to develop FDI policies that can make a difference to the bottom of the pyramid.
- Researchers, think tanks and academia keen to explore new options for economic development.
- A refreshed perspective of what FDI could achieve with an expanded definition.
- Best practices of how to source investors keen to engage with the bottom of the pyramid challenges.
- And much more.
SDG 1 calls all nations and sectors of society to do more to eradicate poverty. The Covid-19 pandemic is estimated to push an additional 88 million to 115 million people into extreme poverty. This course explores several avenues of the role FDI could play in addressing this challenge.